The Studio provides the opportunity for three public recitals for all instruments plus Piano Guild Audition participation for piano students only each year. All recital participation is strictly voluntary. Recitals always occur on Sunday afternoons at 2:30 pm. Times and dates for the Piano Guild Auditions are scheduled individually.
(1) The "Thanksgiving Recital" is in November and is designed particularly to give the younger beginning students their first experience in recital participation. (A reception follows the recital.)
(2) The "Composition Recital" is usually in early March. In this composition, all students who perform are playing a song that they have composed. Mr. Schumpert sees composition as an excellent way to teach theory and to stimulate creativity as well. This recital us usually the best attended recital of the year. Each song is quite unique and interesting. Students are permitted to use stage props and even to "dress the part" in costumes if they wish. There are usually fifty or more compositions which have been completed by the time of the Composition Recital. The audience votes with ballots to determine the three winners for each of the three catagories. First place is "Best Over-all". Second place is "Most Musical". Third place is "Most Creative". Each winner receives an engraved wall plaque. (A reception follows the recital at which the winners are announced.)
(3) The "End of School Recital" usually occurs two Sundays before the end of the school year. This is the only recital at which students are encouraged to play their songs by memory. This recital is intended to demonstrate the progress that the students have made during the school year. It is also our "awards assembly" as well at which time students are recognized for a number of achievements. Some of the awards and certificates include:
a) A+ Club Certificates
b) Guild Audition recognitions
c) "Critic's Circle" rating winners d) Most Improved student plaques e) Instrumental Recital Participation Certificates f) Guitar Chord Champions
g) Piano Flashcard Champions
(A reception follows the End of School Recital.)
4. This Studio participates each year in the "Piano Guild Auditions" sponsored by the American College of Musicians. Auditions are held each year at Temple College, usually in mid-May. This voluntary activity is an opportunity for piano students to memorize a series of songs and to perform them for a Guild "judge" who assigns a score and provides constructive criticism for each song performed. Students may memorize as few as one or as many as fifteen songs. All auditions are completely private and confidential. The Piano Guild Auditions provide an essential element which encourages individual growth and achievement for the piano students who wish to participate each year.
* Copies of recital programs are available in the sub-menu of this page.